Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lies - Problems displacement

Hi Dan,

It's been a while since my last update so I'm posting my current model.
I have finished the woman and the dress so all the ZBrush work is done.



At the moment, Everything is unwrapped and I've exported the low polygon models from ZBrush to XSI. I'm now trying to apply the displacement maps, but this is a bit trickier than I first thought.

For the bodice, it is not showing the finer details (like the seams) correctly:

For the overskirt, it is not displacing the folds correctly. Where the folds are more "straight" in ZBrush, they are round in XSI when I apply the displacement.
This is the closest I could get with the train, but there is still a big difference between them both. It doesn't look smooth and certain folds are not defined correctly. I've got the same problem here as the one I've got with the overskirt, the folds (at the top) look round instead of straight as you can see in the next image:
I first thought that I had to use low poly meshes (subdivision level 2, around 500 polygons) but now I'm using subdivision level 4 (around 8000 polygons) for the train's base mesh and it is still not displacing it right.

For exporting the displacement map out of ZBrush I'm using the settings from a link you gave us a month ago. I'm using 4069 maps.


Is it maybe possible that it is not looking good because some polygons are stretched in my model? Do you think this will be solved if I would retopologise the meshes that are not displaying the displacement right? Or do you think I have to apply a normal map together with a displacement to get the look from ZBrush? Are the finer details not showing because displacement can't handle them?

I'm a bit stuck at the moment cause I've been trying several things for over 3 days and I can't get 1 mesh to look exactly like the high poly mesh.

So any advice on this would be fantastic!

Thanks!
Lies

No comments:

Post a Comment