Thursday, May 28, 2009

Basic meshes

I've been making the body and the head.
The body has been modeled in XSI. You will actually only see the arms and hands in the final mo
del. I'd like to have some advice on the topology and how to tackle the hands. I heard that using displacement maps and subsurface scattering doesn't go well together, but I was planning on using subsurface scattering on the skin and a displacement map for the arms, hands and face. Do you think it is better to model the arms and hands entirely in XSI, or is there another way where I don't need to use a displacement map?


I've been sculpting the head in ZBrush, starting with a sphere. After the main shapes, I retopologized the mesh so I could add more detail. I then imported the high res mesh in XSI and rendered some images. The wireframe you see in the image is the second subdivision level from ZBrush. I still need to define the features a little bit better. Especially the side view needs some more work.


I had to make the edge loops around the eyes quite low because of the pronounced cheeks I was going for. I'm wondering if this is a good topology of the head and if I'm on track in the overall process. Does the head need more detail in Zbrush, or should I add additional detail with bump and diffuse maps?

No comments:

Post a Comment